Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tuck's interview invites for candidates that did not attend an on-campus interview should be going out next week.

My Yale application is due the first week of January.

Realistically where do I stand and what are my plans?

Lets see.

I have a GMAT of 650 (not good), due to career change I don't have ae high flying career progression (not good), I have a poor GPA (even worse). So, what's most likely going to happen?

I think that I will be rejected by Tuck and Yale. It's not that I have no confidence in getting in, but I have to be realistic with my chances.

Do I feel bad? No. Actually, I am pretty calm about it. I did what I had set out to do 1.5 years ago; that is, to apply to business school.

So using this experience as a stepping stone, I shall do what I enjoy and chart out the next 2 years assuming that I do not get accepted by either Tuck or Yale.

i) I need a better GMAT score. Let's target a 750 - mainly coming from an improved Verbal score. I will start preparations in March (I should hear from Tuck/Yale by then) and sit for the GMAT in August.

ii) Enrol for a Diploma in Business to improve my GPA and get a stronger academic background. This Diploma should last about 1.5 to 2 years. This would strengthen my application from an academic aspect.

iii) Continue working to show carrer progression. I may move to advertising and marketing where I feel I will be able to excel faster. Depends on how things go though, I may decide to stay in finance, but more to another bank with a promotion.

iv) Take a more active role in my community activities. I think I will work closely and get a recommender from my charity organisation.

And what is all this for?

My target schools for the Class of 2010 are

Stanford
Wharton
Tuck

1.5 years spent planning, and another 2 years before I attend b/school.

And I don't see why I won't be able to get in assuming everything goes smoothly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ganja Turtle said...

"And I don't see why I won't be able to get in assuming everything goes smoothly."...Like that tone,dude...cool confidence born out of knowledge...I hope I am able to do something like this should I ever face such a situation! One thing that I have learnt is is you start early you can get a whole lot of feedback...from other applicants, from succesful students, from GMAT tutors...and looks like you have all the time you need-me scored 540 in my 1st Kaplan test...after 1.5 years of 2hrs daily prep managed to take it to a 710...am sure you will end up in the mid 700s..All the best!

12:53 PM  
Blogger MBABlogger said...

Wow this sure sounds like a plan..and I am sure the wait will be worth it..

Especially now that you know the system you can do exactly what is required !! Good luck , but I will also send some prayers up so that you make it to one of the schools this time itself.. you never know what the adcom folks might like in ur app.. and yeah thanks for the wishes.. I guess that will be a good dilemna ot have if i have to choose from various options !

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its a great plan! I think you have a chance at Tuck and Yale even this year. But, you dont need to worry even if you dont get in since you have an awesome plan lined up. Godd job. One advise, if you end up retaking GMAT, try to get it done even earlier than August next year... it will help. Another thing, I am a reapplicant this year and I think my biggest improvement from last year is in extracurriculars. They make a difference! Do go out and get involved.

Good luck!

PS: I am yet to update my blog on CBS and Darden... Got no love from CBS and waitlist from Darden. So its gonna be between Tuck and Chicago GSB (if they love me too).

-jatwarrior

10:41 AM  
Blogger asiangal said...

Sounds like a plan. You do have a chance at Tuck and Yale (if you don't apply, your chance of getting in is zero), but if you have to wait another year I'm sure you've learned a LOT from the application process this year. =)

Best of luck!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Inblue said...

What a plan.I only wish you do not have to exectue it! I am almost dinged at Tuck too.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home