Saturday, January 13, 2007

Ever been to a meet-up where everybody sits around talking about their new mansion on the hill and their ferrari that they've just bought?

"I bought the Ferrari 360 because it's an extra 5 mph faster than the lastest Porsche 911Turbo super power number 1 version xx2"

Sometimes, BW forums feel like that. People with admits to Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/Chicago/Kellogg/Columbia etc sitting around knocking each other's school and talking about how they're all going to be the next Boone Pickens or make partner at McKinsey within 3 years.

(yeah. I know, somebody's going to make noise about me mentioning Kellogg in the same breath as Harvard)

"Oh woe is to me, should I choose between Harvard or Stanford?"

"Oh no. I have admits to Chicago and Wharton. Which will allow me to make the extra million the year I graduate?"


And all I'm thinking is

"Wow, wish I could get into bschool, even if it's a school that's number 25 on the list. Hope they accept me and I get the loan to study."


You know, sure, going to Harvard gets your foot into the door into Company Xyz, but really, if you're going to be so anal about whether Harvard deserves to be ranked better than Chicago, or some funny ranking thing like that, you're missing the forest for the tree. The key thing is, you're going to go to b/school.

Yes, business schools are about opportunity, and yes, top schools give you the opportunity to get a foot in with whichever company you want. But if you're an asshole, you can graduate from Harvard/Stanford/etc, top of the class, as president of every single club and companies will never ask you to stay on after the first 6 months.

Me? I just want the little 2 bed-room apartment with a Toyota. At least it's on the way up to bigger things. Just remember, all things, sometimes start small.

2 Comments:

Blogger mba_Deeva said...

that is exactly how i feel.
b-school is an opportunity to the next step. going to top school does not always guarantee the post-mba career success.

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I feel that, an MBA will definitely get you where you want to be, if you know for sure what you want to be. Rankings may not matter that much.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home