Sunday, January 21, 2007

I can't believe I'm getting into religious arguements with my girlfriend. I accept and support her being a Christian, but surely in the same way I should be given my own space and be allowed to believe in what I want? (or rather, not believe in what I want)

Isn't religious belief personal?

I should have right to object to having to attend a religious gathering that makes me feel uncomfortable. Yes, I may attend to support somebody who may be giving a presentation, but I should be allowed to consider whether I wish to attend or not.

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of any religion. I admire the values that certain religions inculcate in children (don't steal, don't lie, etc), but feel that somebody should always have the right to reject a religion.

------

On another note, I was just reminiscing about my wonderful head of department. In a flash of genius during the last annual department meeting (held last week), he decided to inspire us to reach for the skies and achieve our new performance ratings.

In a bid to achieve a promotion, the head of department has decided to increase revenue growth by 35% for the year. Basically, this translates into everybody (including direct non-sales like myself) having to now do sales. And to encourage a "sales driven culture" (love this buzzword, the banks here are having a field day with it), 50% of my performance ratings come from doing sales.

Anyway, I'm digressing.

In one stroke, the head of department removed any reason for teamwork.

"Team! We are not just competing against competitors! Don't forget, you are also competing against other divisions in the bank to look good. You are competing against other departments as well. Most importantly, you're competing against your colleagues!"

Maybe I don't understand it very well, maybe I'm reading too much into it.... but if I'm competing against my own colleagues, I don't think I'm going to be getting much help from them to close a deal to help achieve my new performance ratings.

I think, the bank has hit a level where cannibalism is going to happen. Too ambitious.

1 Comments:

Blogger AGirlsMBA said...

I agree with you about running outside! The hardest part is mentally knowing that I have to run AT LEAST what I've already run to get back home. I need to train outside on the pavement so I don't hurt myself tooo much when I run a race!

Wow, I hate when managers do that. I think it is because THEY have some performance objective from above and all they care about is hitting it and not about their team.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home