Saturday, January 20, 2007

I think, RSM's essay has made me achieve that the other schools' essays have failed to do. I have introspected and brought back memories of long ago just to write this essay.

Working in a small little office above a pub. Late nights, watching the people stumble as they leave to go home after a night of drinking. Sitting in the small room watching the rain fall at 2am as I struggled to finish the presentation for Venture Capitalist number 1001. Friends and family questioning my sanity.

Memories of the team sitting around the food stalls checking to see whether we had enough money to have a dinner. (usually we did, but sometimes we would have to be careful to make sure what we had enough to cover the bill - yes, money was tight). Wondering whether we could afford to pay the electricity bill that month. Wondering whether I would have enough money to buy a pack of cigarettes AND a can of coke (I usually had to forgo the coke).

Fighting over product development timelines. Celebrating a team member's marriage. Hyped up over the big presentation at the Third Thursday/Second Monday/First Friday venture capital meetings. Signing our first real partnership agreement.

A company built on dedication, determination, hardwork and some luck. Driven by hopes and dreams.

Now as I retrospect and introspect, I was much happier, more satisfied with my work than I am now. I gave it my best. Yes, I, we, had no money, but the company was something that we believed in.

I didn't have to pander to my supervisor and worry about my yearly reviews. I built _real_ relationships with the customers and partner companies. I was responsible for making real decisions that made a difference. Achieving our targets meant something for the team, and not just reading about the company making another $500 million in profits.

We were a team.

But now the company has come and gone, but I'll still remember that we were a team. And I'll never forget my experiences.

1 Comments:

Blogger mba_Deeva said...

yea i like your post. wish i had such an experience. remembering my first job, i saw my teammates leaving becuz of P/L manipulation. everyone was too competitive cuz their annual evaluation and salary depended on the actual 'numbers'. trading was fun.. but the pressure drove ppl to the extreme. i miss the days. hopefully i can return there asap..

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home